Can I Change my Parenting Time Agreement in Michigan? (Pt 1)

Not having enough time with your kids can be very hard on parents, and on kids!

We get this question a lot. Parents call or come in, wondering how they can modify their visitation agreements (called parenting time agreements here in Michigan) so they can have more time with their kids. And who could blame them?

One of the hardest parts of a divorce when you have children, is that you no longer get to spend as much time with your kids as you’d like. But to answer the question – yes, you CAN change your parenting time agreement in Michigan. Let’s take a look at what’s involved.

Visitation, and how it’s awarded by the court:

Unless the court has determined that one of the child’s parents is a danger to them, parenting time will be awarded in a way that’s considered best for the children. This means that if a couple divorces, or ends their relationship, and only one parent gets custody of the children, the other parent is still entitled to be a part of their children’s lives.

It’s to be expected that if there is a history of drug abuse, domestic violence, child abuse, or criminal activity in the home, that the court will restrict your access to your child. But outside of those scenarios, there’s little the court will do to interfere with your relationship with your child. Which is a good thing, because parents have a fundamental right to parent their own children.

But what if that visitation isn’t enough for me?

This is a common concern for parents who don’t have custody, but instead get visitation rights to their child. And again, it’s hard to blame them. After all, it can seem incredibly unfair to know that your ex has unrestricted access to your kids almost 7 days a week, while you have Sunday afternoons and evenings on Wednesday, or something similar.

In most cases, when one parent is awarded custody, it is the mother. Statistically, that’s just the reality. So for the most part, the issue of not enough parenting time is often a ‘dad’ issue. However fathers are entitled to be a part of their children’s life, just as much as mothers are.

Join us next time to see what you can do about it!

Whether you’re trying to modify your parenting time schedule yourself, or simply keep your ex from changing it, we can explain what you’re up against. Until then, however, if you or a loved one are having issues with your custody or visitation agreements, call 866 766 5245 and talk to one of our skilled and experienced family law attorneys today. We are here 24/7 to help you work through all your family legal concerns.