I’m Afraid my ex is Going to Kidnap Our Child! What Can I do? (Pt 2)

A black and white picture of a young boy looking out through a chain link fence.
A child who is a victim of kidnapping by a parent isn’t likely to be treated as a captive, but they still need to be rescued!

Welcome back and thanks for joining us. We know this is a hard topic to read about, and for parents who are concerned about an unstable ex, it can be a terrifying subject to discuss. But if this sounds like your situation – where you’re concerned about your child’s safety and you’re unsure about your ex’s motivations, then this article is for you. As we mentioned previously, there are red flags you can look out for if you’re concerned about a parental kidnapping. But if you happen to see them, what do you do? 

How do you prevent a possible parental kidnapping?

There are several options open to you if you’re concerned about the safety of your child. However, something you need to keep in mind is that presenting that to the court can be tricky. Obviously, most people who intend to steal a child and flee, don’t usually leave a lot of clues lying around. So you might be basing your suspicions on little behavior changes and gut instincts. But the court doesn’t want to hear about your hunches. They want evidence, and there may not be any until it’s too late. So you need to discuss this with your attorney before you do anything, and get their professional input on what your options are!

Options to keep your child safe in Michigan:


If your spouse has ties to another country (like family or close friends living abroad), you may want to refuse to give consent for your child to get a passport. That way you can be certain that your ex can’t leave the country legally with your child.

Court Orders:

If you have serious concerns about your ex leaving the country and trying to take your child with them, discuss your fears with us and we can help you file a court order forcing your ex to surrender their passport, so that they can’t leave the country and take your child with them.

Supervised visitation:

Another option that’s available if you have legitimate concerns about your ex trying to take your child away, is requesting that the court order only supervised visitation. By ensuring that your ex is always watched when they’re with your kids will reduce any chance they have of trying to leave undetected with your child.

Parenting is hard enough already – get help if you’re worried!

As a parent, there are already a lot of things you worry about, without having to be fearful that your unscrupulous ex is going to steal your child. If you’re afraid for your child’s safety, call The Kronzek Firm at 866 766 5245 immediately and discuss your case with one of our helpful and experienced family law attorneys. We can explain all your options, and help you make the right choices to keep your child safe. We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, because we know that emergencies don’t only happen during business hours.