In the words of Mark Twain, “Truth is scarier than fiction,” and in the case of marriage today, this quote certainly applies. It’s common knowledge that the divorce rate has been slowly rising for years, but that is only one of several surprising and rather disheartening facts about marriage in this day and age. So if you think your heart can stand the jolt, we put together this list of marriage facts for you.
- 72% of women have considered leaving their husbands at some point during the course of their marriage.
- 70% of Americans bring financial debt with them into their marriages.
- Between 15 and 20 % of couples have sex, on average, about 10 times a year, which is less than once a month. According to experts, this would be defined as a “sexless marriage”.
- Married couples whose annual income is lower than $20,000 actually have fewer arguments that couples whose income falls into the $250,000 to $500,000 range.
- More than one third of married people claim that they have considered a divorce based on the effect of a T.V. show or movie they saw.
- Almost one quarter of America’s children have experienced a divorce in the family before the age of 12.
- Couples who live together before getting married actually have a 46% higher rate of divorce than those who don’t.
- Due to busy lives and conflicting schedules, the average married couple will spend no more than 4 minutes in each other’s company each day.
- Couples who argue about money early in the course of their marriage, regardless of how low or high their income is, have a higher rate of divorce than those who don’t.
- Although first marriages have a rather scary fail rate, repeat marriages have it even worse – 60% of second marriages and 73% of third marriages fail.
As they say, love is blind and amazingly, people continue to get married despite the depressing stats on relationship survival rates. With that in mind, if you end up living in one of these unfortunate statistics, know that we are here to help you get through the legal rough times ahead. Call 866 766 10000 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to talk to a skilled family law attorney.