So Who’s Going to Pay For Your Child’s Medical Expenses After Divorce? (Pt 2)

Having to figure out who needs to pay what and when can be very overwhelming!


Welcome back and thanks for joining us again for a chat about which parent is responsible for paying for uninsured medical bills after divorce. It can be somewhat confusing, and some parents have strong opinions about what they believe is far. But in the end, the court has very clear cut rules about how this has to be handled. If you remember in the last article, we explained that the ‘ordinary medical amount’ will need to be paid by the parent receiving child support. But what about if there’s till more after that?


So how does this apply to you?


Each parent will probably have a percentage of the amount that they’re required to pay for Uninsured Medical Expenses, once the Ordinary Medical amount for the year is met. After that, each parent pays their percentage. If the other parent is willing to directly pay for the provider that’s fine. However, if the other parent isn’t willing to pay, then you have to submit the bill to the Family Court.


There’s a formula to help figure it out:


According to Michigan’s child support calculator, the average families spend $403 every year for one child on ordinary medical expenses. The Ordinary Medical Expense Averages table breaks down what a family can expect to spend, per child, on a monthly and yearly basis (although the courts may sometimes add amounts to cover higher expenses.)


This annual ordinary medical amount is added to the base child support, and has to be paid if full by the parent receiving child support. Beyond that amount (which is paid by the parent receiving child support) any extra costs from medical expenses have to be split between the two parents proportionally.


What does the process involve?


  • Parents should first submit the child’s medical bills to their insurance company. (In most cases, insurance doesn’t cover every aspect of the cost, and there will be copays or deductibles to deal with.)
  • Once the insurance has covered whatever portion they will cover (if any), the parents need to determine the amount left over that needs to be paid.
  • Up to $403 of this remaining total must be paid by the parent receiving child support payments.
  • Any remaining amounts need to be divided proportionally between the parents. If there is a conflict about who pays what, the issue needs to be addressed with the family court.


Do you have questions about how much you’ll have to pay?


This can be a very confusing process. Knowing how much money you owe, and how much you’re going to have to pay can be complex subjects, and many parents find themselves overwhelmed and frustrated while trying to figure it out.

If this sounds like your situation, call The Kronzek Firm at 866 766 5245 and talk to one of our experienced family law attorneys. We can help you figure it out.


Stephanie just finished settling my divorce case. She did an excellent job handling every aspect of the case. When I came to her looking for an attorney, not knowing what was to come, angry and upset, she did excellent job reassuring me that everything was going to be okay. She explained the divorce process, what I could expect over the next few months and outlined the possible outcomes. She was well aware of my financial situation and very limited expendable income and did a great job doing whatever she could to keep my costs down. At times she would even remind me that she is happy to pursue any direction I wanted to go, but the cost involved may not outweigh the outcome. She did an excellent job letting me know where I could do things myself rather than paying the firm to do it as well as provided assistance to make sure I did it in the proper manner. And what was most impressive is a meeting with the ex and her lawyer. Stephanie actually had her phone out pulling up case law and verifying it to make sure the ex and her lawyer didn’t get something over on me. VERY IMPRESSIVE!. If you want an excellent attorney who isn’t going to tell you what you want to hear just to increase the cost for the firm’s benefit, call Stephanie Service.

Brian on Avvo, 2014

Contact A Divorce Attorney

call us
email us