Are You in Danger of Having Your Parental Rights Terminated in Michigan (Part 2)

Losing your rights to your child means losing all contact with them until they’re an adult and can choose to speak to you!

Welcome back and thanks for joining us. We’ve been talking about what it means to have your parental rights terminated in Michigan, specifically what’s involved in the process and what you can expect. In the previous article, we looked at what you should do if CPS shows up and takes your kids away, what you can expect next, and whether or not you can get your kids back. Moving on we’re going to take a look at how to appeal that decision after the court has made it, and what your rights are as a parent in Michigan.

4. Will I get a chance to tell my side of the story?

Yes you will. But be very careful now – you should NEVER try explaining anything to the police or to a CPS worker. Think about it: they’re the people trying to have your parental rights terminated. Which means that anything you say to them can (and probably will) be twisted around and used against you in court. So while you will have a chance to tell your story, you need to tell it to your attorney, and then let them help you prepare your story for court. The sooner you have an experienced family law attorney who knows how to handle CPS to argue your side of the story in court, the better your chances are of keeping your kids!

5. Can I appeal the court’s decision to remove my children from my home?

Yes there is. That’s why we encourage all parents who’ve recently lost their children to the state, to contact us immediately. The clock is ticking, and the appeals process is time consuming. So the sooner you have an experienced attorney working to appeal a termination of parental rights, the better. We cannot stress this enough – don’t wait! The moment CPS shows up and takes your kids, you need to call us. Any delay can have terrible ripple effects both for you and your kids!

6. Are there any other options besides terminating my parental rights?

In many cases there are. CPS refers to these other options as “services”, and they include a wide variety of alternative solutions that can lead to reunification of families. For example, a CPS worker may suggest:

  • Parenting classes,
  • Anger management classes,
  • Group therapy or Individual counselling
  • Sobriety support classes,
  • Alcohol and/or drug testing

Talk to your family law attorney about what alternatives you can pursue, and what options are available to you. If CPS is willing to offer services, they’re usually less likely to push for terminating your rights, which is ultimately a good thing.

The less you have to do with CPS, the better!

What’s even better than services, court dates and CPS visits, is your family being left alone by the state. So if you’re hoping to end CPS’s invasive tactics, and get on with parenting your kids without the state hovering over your shoulder, call The Kronzek Firm at 866 766 5245. Our skilled family law attorneys have spent decades helping Michigan families with all of their legal needs, from divorce and custody issues, to battling CPS and keeping their families together. We’re available 24/7 to help.