That’s the million dollar question, and we get asked it all the time. “So now what? What’s next?” And the answer is – that’s up to you. What you choose to do now depends on a lot of factors, but if you’re really at a loss and need some help figuring out which steps are next for you now that your divorce is final, here are some tips and ideas.
Taking care of business:
Now that your divorce is final, we recommend spending a little time taking care of those not-so-exciting but very important little details that can come back to haunt you down the line if you neglect them.
- Meet with your attorney one last time to make sure that all the Ts are crossed and all the Is are dotted.
- Read through your divorce judgement completely, and make sure you take note of all instructions, and follow them (this could include updating your homeowner and auto owner insurance policies.)
- Take care of all those details that will help you prepare for your new future, like applying for credit in your own name, and changing the passwords on your accounts.
- Setting up a new will and trust (this is a very important one!)
Celebrating your new life:
For some people, this transition in life is a really positive one. So they want to celebrate the occasion, or start this new chapter of life with something special. In that case, here are a few ideas to consider:
- Throw a party. Invite all your friends over for for cake and champagne, or host a “newly-single” potluck and ask everyone to bring a tasty treat to pass.
- Try a weekend getaway. Go camping with a few buddies, or ask a couple of your girlfriends to chip in on an Airbnb with you, and take a few days away to relax
- Go on vacation. Some people like to enter this new phase of life with a major celebration to mark the occasion. So if you can afford it, ask a friend to join you for a cruise, or spend a week exploring the one place you’ve always dreamed of going!
Launching your future:
Now that it’s over and you’re about to embark on this new journey, take some time to consider what you want for yourself (if you haven’t already.) Whether it’s going back to school, finding a new job, or buying a new home, you probably have several plans that need a little time and attention before you can succeed:
- If your future includes a new job, then go over your resume, spend a little time brushing up on your interview skills, and maybe even take the time to learn a new skill that may open new doors for you.
- If you’re headed back to school, then we advise you to check out the website of your college of choice, and find out when the next registration period is. The sooner you sign up and get rolling, the sooner you’ll be on the road to success.
- If you’re looking for a new home we suggest making a budget and then sticking to it. Nothing would be worse than finding your dream home and not being able to afford it because you couldn’t curb your spending!
Preparing for your new life requires planning and dedication
Getting divorced means you’re going to have a lot on your plate. Not just now during the divorce process, but in the future, as you work to create a whole new life for yourself. So if we can offer you one piece of advice, it would be this: get yourself a really good lawyer.
Or more to the point, call us now at 866 766 5245. Our experienced and helpful family law attorneys can work with you during this challenging time, to ensure that you achieve the best possible outcome in your case. So don’t wait, and don’t put your future at risk. Do the right thing and call the people who can help make sure you start your new life on the right foot!